This is my go to dessert to bake because it’s tasty, simple and healthy (because apples are healthy, right?). Give it a try!
- 2 cups diced apple (approx. one large apple)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil (you can swap 1/2 of this for applesauce)
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar (for the icing)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (for the icing)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl: sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking soda & cinnamon.
- Dice apple(s). Mix in with dry ingredients.
- Stir in oil and egg until well mixed.
- Put in a greased pan (I used a round 8 x 8 pan) & bake for 35 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make icing. It should have a squishy, not runny consistency.
- Using a spatula, scoop the icing into a plastic sandwich bag. Make a small cut in the corner of the bag & drizzle the icing on the cake.