Crafting soap seems like it would be one of those tricky things with many complex steps so I never attempted it. However, with a pre-made soap base it’s super easy and will take you less than 5 minutes!
Other than the dried lavender buds (which I had leftover from my wedding), I found everything I needed on Amazon for cheap. This can also be purchased at your local craft store if you don’t want to wait for it all to ship. This is what you’ll need:
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Fresh Dried Lavender Buds (optional)
- Soap Base (I used Shea Butter Soap with Suspension Formula since it makes skin soft & more evenly disperses scents and colors throughout)
- Soap Mold (or flexible silicone bake ware/container)
- Soap Coloring (optional, too)
- Glass Measuring Cup (or any container to melt & mix in)
Here’s the how to:
- Get all ingredients out & ready.
- Slice out the amount of the soap base you want to use & cut into semi-small chunks. Place the pieces in your glass measuring cup (or whatever you are using to mix/melt in).
- Put in the microwave for 40 seconds. Pull it out & stir it to see if there are still chunks. Place back in the microwave for 30 seconds or less. Pull back out, stir and check it. Continue this until it is a smooth liquid. This took me less than a minute.
- Mix in 1 tsp Lavender essential oil per pound of soap. I used a quarter pound (which made two smaller soap bars), so I used 1/4 tsp of the essential oil.
- For a lighter purple, stir in 6 drops of soap coloring per quarter pound. For a deeper color, add more.
- Mix in several pinches (roughly 1-2 tablespoons) of dried lavender buds. Stir.
- Now, pour into your molds! I specifically bought soap molds for this, but if you have silicone bake ware (that the soap could easily pop out from) that works, too.
- Let the soap cool in it’s mold at room temperature for at least 45 minutes. Then, gently push with consistent pressure to release it from the mold.
Voila! You have soap!
Now that you know how easy it is, try making different kinds with complimentary mix-ins. For example, try vanilla bean soap with coffee grounds, peppermint soap with real mint leaves, or lemongrass scented soap with a citrus zest. Have fun!
Heart shaped for Valentine’s Day!
I love using my wax warmer! The scented wax melts make the house smell so inviting. Plus, I can let the melts harden and reuse them several times before the scent fades! Try these out in your home or pair them with a wax warmer as a fun housewarming present.
Ingredients (both are inexpensive on Amazon/at your local craft store):
1) 1 cup of Soy Wax Shavings
2) 1.5 tsp. of Essential Oil (I used Lemongrass)
You’ll notice there is a little bottle of coloring that’s not mentioned… It didn’t go over well. It beads up in the wax and doesn’t distribute evenly. I recommend keeping the color au naturel!
1) Put 1 heaping cup of soy wax shavings in a glass measuring cup.2) Microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds. Stir.
3) Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals until wax is completely liquid. Remove & stir. Once melted, you’ll have about a half cup of liquid.
4) Mix in 1.5 tsps. of essential oil.5) Pour into an ice cube tray or a small shaped mold (I use a heart shaped mold that is intended for chocolate and it makes them the perfect size).
6) Let cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour (longer if they are larger). Then, remove from the mold.
To keep these most fragrant, seal them in a container or bag. Have fun crafting 🙂