Crafting soap seems like it would be one of those tricky things with many complex steps so I never attempted it. However, with a pre-made soap base it’s super easy and will take you less than 5 minutes!
Other than the dried lavender buds (which I had leftover from my wedding), I found everything I needed on Amazon for cheap. This can also be purchased at your local craft store if you don’t want to wait for it all to ship. This is what you’ll need:
- Soap Base (I used Shea Butter Soap with Suspension Formula since it makes skin soft & more evenly disperses scents and colors throughout)
- Soap Mold (or flexible silicone bake ware/container)
- Soap Coloring (optional, too)
- Glass Measuring Cup (or any container to melt & mix in)
Here’s the how to:
- Get all ingredients out & ready.
- Slice out the amount of the soap base you want to use & cut into semi-small chunks. Place the pieces in your glass measuring cup (or whatever you are using to mix/melt in).
- Put in the microwave for 40 seconds. Pull it out & stir it to see if there are still chunks. Place back in the microwave for 30 seconds or less. Pull back out, stir and check it. Continue this until it is a smooth liquid. This took me less than a minute.
- Mix in 1 tsp Lavender essential oil per pound of soap. I used a quarter pound (which made two smaller soap bars), so I used 1/4 tsp of the essential oil.
- For a lighter purple, stir in 6 drops of soap coloring per quarter pound. For a deeper color, add more.
- Mix in several pinches (roughly 1-2 tablespoons) of dried lavender buds. Stir.
- Now, pour into your molds! I specifically bought soap molds for this, but if you have silicone bake ware (that the soap could easily pop out from) that works, too.
- Let the soap cool in it’s mold at room temperature for at least 45 minutes. Then, gently push with consistent pressure to release it from the mold.
Voila! You have soap!
Now that you know how easy it is, try making different kinds with complimentary mix-ins. For example, try vanilla bean soap with coffee grounds, peppermint soap with real mint leaves, or lemongrass scented soap with a citrus zest. Have fun!